The Basics. #capsulewardrobeseries


The next installment of this capsule wardrobe series is about the basics that can kick off a cohesive wardrobe. We all have those pieces that we would happily live in and go that one extra day without washing it because we're so desperate to wear it. In my last capsule wardrobe post I said I would write a something about getting the basics of a capsule wardrobe together. Before I get into it, I'd just like to point out that these are items that suit my style. In my previous posts I explained how the fantastic book, The Curated Closet, gives step by steps to really understand your own personal style and how your wardrobe works for you -- although I think these items would be great for anyone. It's so important to have feel comfortable in your own skin. If your basics are trainers and leggings, then that's great, whatever works for you.

As I'm starting with the basic, I made sure that the pictures really represent my wardrobe -- me with no make up, in a jumper and jeans. It may not be exciting, but that's what I wear. When I started planning my wardrobe, I thought about what I wear everyday and the things I feel comfy in, because I wasn't about to get rid of all my clothes and start again -- that would be expensive and wasteful. These are items that I already had that have formed the foundation for the rest of my clothes, so this is also a little nod to doing a capsule wardrobe on a budget.

Instead of going through item after item, I thought I would put them together in outfits to show why they are my basics. My casual every day outfit is a pair of jeans, a stripy t-shirt and my Converse. I love both black and blue jeans, and as I live in both and it wouldn't right to not include one. There isn't anything particularly interesting about jeans except knowing what fits. In most shops, jeans come in your usual 8s, 10s, etc., but that doesn't mean the size you usually go for will fit perfectly. I've been buying my jeans from Asos for years now so I can get my waist and leg length correct. I have the problem that so many people have: it will fit my waist but no way are they going over my bum, so I have to resort to getting a size to go over my bum, but it ends up being too big around my waist. I'm a pretty average height at 5 foot 5, which isn't tall but not short enough for petite jeans, so Asos lets you chose the length of your jeans which is one of the best things I have ever discovered in the fashion world. I no longer have the baggy ankle look and I think clothes that fit well can often look more expensive. I know Topshop do the same thing, but Asos are nearly half the price.

My Joules Harbour tee is such a weekend item, in my opinion. It encapsulates relaxing days out and having pancakes for breakfast. I can't wait to write about this gorgeous brand when I visit Cornwall next month -- it definitely suits the countryside and coastal towns of Cornwall. I don't think I could ever be without a stripey t-shirt because I don't think they will ever go out of fashion. Prints come and go, but you will never look bad in stripes. I'm adding to this outfit with my cosy grey jumper that I can wear with skirts, jeans, and cigarette trousers. I really recommend looking for jumpers in H&M because some of their jumpers are as soft as cashmere, like I said, we're on a budget! I've previously written posts about both my Converse and black Chelsea boots, so I wont bore you and repeat myself. I wear them all the time  -- that sums everything up.

My next outfit is called 'I actually want to look put together'. This outfit gives the impression that you've got your life together when you really just want to go home and watch Bake Off in your pyjamas with some chocolate. My navy cigarette trousers were in my spring favourites because I have been wearing them every week without fail. My favourite thing to pair them with is a simple white blouse and leopard print shoes, to mix the plain and interesting. The theme with my basics is that they will never go out of fashion because they are more of a style than a trend. That sounds really pretentious, but I purely go for that because it saves a lot of money.

This outfit is for those 3 day summers that we get here in England. A button up denim skirt and a classic short sleeve tshirt. I surprised myself when I wrote my list of basics because I used to wear skirts all the time. I didn't feel comfortable in trousers until I found ones that really flattered me. Trousers are much more practical when you're a busy person, however, I always need a skirt in my life. I keep to plain, A-line skirts that come in at my waist and skim over my thighs. In the summer, I live in a denim skirt, which were really popular a few years ago. I'm not ready to let it go yet because I think it has gone from a trend piece to something a lot of people own -- probably because it goes with so many things and denim can take a little wear. It can often improve the look, so we're not held back at any point. I included this skirt over the others because, apart from a couple of dresses, it is my most worn item in the sunshine and since we had a ridiculous heat wave last week, I remembered how much I love it. I loved the heat wave until I had to go to work, because I have never resented wearing trousers more in my life. Also, getting a classic dress that you can pull out whenever is the best thing! In the future I'm going to do a post about formal dressing with a capsule wardrobe.

I hope this post has given you a little idea of how to start off and build on what you've already got. There's no need to spend a lot on these items so I like to shop at Asos, H&M, Joules and Primark. You can pick and choose where you spend more money, depending on your day to day life. For example, I'm quite happy with £3.50 t-shirts from Primark, but I do like to spend more money on my jeans, so they fit really well.

I thought I would include a list to make the items clear if you feel inspired:

  • Black/blue jeans
  • Grey jumper
  • Denim skirt
  • T-shirt
  • Converse
  • Black boots
  • White shirt
  • Striped t-shirt
  • Classic dress




No comments